Allerton Tower. 1926
Allerton Tower. In the process of being demolished. 1937
Allerton Tower Park was part of the Manor of Allerton until 1849 when Hardman
Earle acquired the estate and introduced the eponymous mansion based on a
design by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes, the famed architect of St George’s
Hall. The house was of classic Italianate design with an attractive tower
providing views across the surrounding countryside.
The estate was acquired by Liverpool Corporation in 1924, opening as a park
three years later however sadly, by 1937 the Tower had become seriously affected
by dry rot and was demolished.
The park today
The lodge, stables, former laundry and part of the orangery of Allerton Tower
remain along with a partially walled garden adding seasonal interest to one
of Liverpool’s attractive former park estates in the Allerton-Woolton