The Aviary at Newsham Park, early 1900s
Postcard of the Seaman’s Orphanage, Newsham Park, early 1900s
Once the private estate of ‘Neusaum’ owned by Henry de Waleton,
the land passed to the Chorley family and eventually in the late 18th century
it was owned by the Molyneuxs. Thomas Molyneux replaced the Yellowstone Manor
House with the present Newsham House and it was eventually sold to Liverpool
Corporation in 1846 for £85,000.
By 1850 the Yellow House Estate had been added to create over 350 acres of
land which was leased to a Mr Gardener. In response to demands for public
parks, the Town approached Edward Kemp (1817-91). Kemp had assisted Paxton
at Birkenhead Park where he became Park Superintendent for over 40 years.
He went on to design parks across the region, including Grosvenor Park, Chester;
Hesketh Park, Southport along with Liverpool’s Anfield Cemetery and
Kemps’ design for Newsham was presented in November 1864 and many of
the elements of today’s park are evident with a large lake the main
ornamental feature – ‘as water is always
pleasing and productive of immense variety’. It is believed to
be Kemps’ first solo park design.
The plan was amended and approved in 1865 and in 1868 Newsham Park opened,
the first of Liverpool’s great mid-Victorian public parks.
The park today
Newsham Park features a large lake and smaller model boating lake. The original
park bandstand remains and there is a children’s play area, rose garden
with a mature park landscape setting. The park is included on the English
Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Historic Interest (Grade II listed).