Drawing of the former quarry and windmill 1773
A view across St James’s Cemetery 1834
Following the quarrying of the local sandstone ridge, an area of spoil on
the summit was landscaped in 1767 to create ‘St James’s Mount
Walk’, probably the earliest public park in Liverpool. By 1825 the adjacent
quarry was exhausted and a rough 4ha (10a) excavation remained. In 1829 this
opened as a private cemetery, featuring a classical mortuary chapel by John
Foster and soon a great many notable memorials and monuments to some notable
citizens of Liverpool. An early introduction was a small temple in honour
of William Huskisson MP, the first rail fatality, and others included the
health reforming Kitty Wilkinson, founder of public washhouses, Sarah Biffin,
a remarkable artist and many others celebrated in the city’s history.
By 1936 the cemetery was full with more than 50,000 souls commemorated and
the site was later remodelled and landscaped to enable increased public access.
The park today
A site full of character which includes remnants of both the original 18th Century
walk and 19th Century cemetery, the latter featuring a chalybeate spring and historic
memorials, alongside the magnificent Anglican Cathedral.